Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Nothing like taking a long term sub job when you are 9 months pregnant.

Got a call Sunday for a sub job this week. All week. 6th grade Geography and 8th grade Science at the small district I sub for. Sure...why not. Show up, and the secretary says..."Yeah, this guy just quit on us." I'm like awesome, so go down there, obviously no lesson plans. There was a note card that said here are the chapters I left off with. I'm like waiting for someone to come and tell me maybe what I should do for the day...no one comes. Go back to the office. The secretary says, "Just give them a study hall." Yeah, 6th and 8th graders study hall the Monday after spring break...um....that sounds like a giant nightmare. So, I basically just go back find a couple of textbooks, and quick throw together some book work for the day and call it good.

Now we have had some other drama in the Iowa City area. It has been on the major news http://www.wjxx.com/news/usworld/news-article.aspx?storyid=105406
I went to go talk to the principal about what was going on for the day, and everyone in the office was talking about this...so I was like, OK...guess I'm doing my own thing. And p.s. totally drove by this guy's burned car on my way to work Monday too.

So fast forward 2 days later...my week job has been extended to as long as I can stay. I'm getting long term sub pay (about $60) more than regular. I pretty much called up the tech guy and had an account set up so I can get on the computer. I guess this guy didn't even put in his grades, so another teacher had to do it. The random thing is he was a long term sub too...trying to get on staff for the next year. Stupid.

So, I'm pretty much rolling this thing out. Negatives-it's such a small district I'm the only Geography and Science teacher for these grades, so no lesson plans I can steal from other teachers....Really teaching again, lesson plans..grades...etc. Positives-more money, can stay as long as I'm able, no first or last period...and another teacher is in my room...so I can "sneak" out. And technically I am still a sub, so it's not like I have to impress them with my curriculum skills. They are just pumped that I am doing lesson plans on my own.

5 comments:

Mrs. H said...

You've got more balls than I do. Here's to hoping Austin comes a little early, right? :)

SO, SO, SO sorry about leaving you off my friends and family list. I've been Miss Change My Blog Everyday lately and I just forgot! I have taken care of it, though!

Chancy Smith said...

Wow! 9 months pregnant and doing sub work.....I don't know how you are doing it. We are at 34 weeks and I am pretty much checked out at school already! Thank God TAKS is over for me! Ugh!!!! I can't wait to here more about Austin.

Lena said...

Take it easy!! Little Austin will be here in no time!!

Unknown said...

I like your style. I guess this will keep you from watching the clock on the pregnancy. Have fun with the sub deal. They are probably going to offer you a job for the fall.

Unknown said...

you've been tagged...enjoy...check my blog to see how it works...