Monday, November 12, 2007

Bad day to be pregnant.

Soooo last Friday I was subbing elementary a class that included 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. All is well in the land of munchkins...we read a little, played with some earthworms, the math was easy...you get the picture. An hour before the day is over...that is 60 minutes before the official start of the weekend. The craziest sub/teaching experience I've ever had happened. A second grader went medieval on me. Enter scene:

The four second graders of the class are gathered around the teacher's table working on their language assignment. Putting the correct spelling of a word in a sentence. I stressed to them, that we were checking it as a group, so if they got it wrong, no big deal, just correct it. So this one kid (to protect his identity) we will just call him "The Devil" gets the last sentence wrong. I say, "No big deal, just mark the correct word." Devil: "But, that's what I was going to pick, but he told me to pick the answer and it was wrong!!" Me: "I understand, but it is your assignment, so you need to choose your own answers, but again, we are correcting as a group, so it's no...." Devil: Jumps up slams his chair into the desk, mumbles something under his breath and goes to his seat. Again...SECOND GRADER!!!

So, I calmly go back to the rest of the group to finish. I hand them their next assignment, and plan on speaking to my star student. But of course in the land of elementary, the other kids yell for him to get his next assignment before I can tell them not to. He approaches, I tell all the other kids to have a seat, and ask Devil to stay and talk to me. Devil: picks up his assignment rips it in half yelling, "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT!!! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!!!" He proceeds back to his desk where he kicks it repeatedly. I ask the other kids to continue working...not that they are doing so at this point. I walk over to The Devil and say, "Ok, lets go to the office." Devil: ignores me continues to kick. I reach down to pick up his torn assignment, and he starts wailing on me! Hitting me with his book, kicking me in the shins, and screaming. At this point, I don't know what he's going to do. I can't leave him, hitting and kicking things, because he might kick another student, so I pretty much grab him and carry him out in the hallway. Don't worry he managed to kick several things on his way out.

He made so much noise that the principal, counselor and secretary across the hall came over as I was bringing him out. The counselor and I chat while the principal takes him to her office. She says to me in a low whisper...."He has anger issues." I'm like NO SH*T!!!! As I retell the story the overly hormonal pregnant lady decides to come visit, and I break down in tears. Awesome. Then I have to retell the story to the principal...still crying. She says to me...for future reference, just leave and come get someone next time. I almost flipped. I said, I'm sorry, but I have been teaching for 6 years, I've worked in high schools, I've broken up fights, and never have I ever seen a kid flip out to the point where I felt like I had no choice but restrain him. I didn't have time to get someone. I said, him hitting an kicking like that, I thought he was going to go crazy on another student. Plus...I don't even know this kid! If he has anger issues that needs to be in the sub notes!!!!!! Come to find out, big surprise, this isn't the first time he has done this. He did come apologize to me at the end of the day with the help of the principal. I mean, this was scary. I thought I was dealing with a future serial killer or something.

Long story longer, I finally pulled it together to go back in and teach the last 30 min. The other kids felt so bad for me that they all gave me notes and pictures. One kid drew me flowers....so ultimately I started crying again. Man, bad day to be pregnant.

6 comments:

Christy said...

That was awesome. I can totally picture you trying to restrain him while he is kicking you. Dang Midwestern kids.

Li Li said...

Man. That is was all greatness! I wish you would have told him to Get mad about it! No?

Chancy Smith said...

Wow. I think that is all I can say right now. Wow. And to think, the highlight of my day was getting my PreAP kids to help me kill a flying insect that came into our room in the middle of a very important TAKS lesson.
HOLY COW!!!! Second grader. Wow. They grow them loud and proud in Iowa!

Lena said...

Those elementary kids can be harsh and powerful. You have to be two steps ahead of the little ones, they are sneaky.
I hope you and baby are alright, remember, you don't have to do shit, you are pregnant.

At least he did not bite you! That hurts!

Mrs. H said...

OMG. I'm a little behind on the blog reading. That was a great way to start off my Monday morning. What a little sh*t. :)

Jeremy and Kamie said...

I do that everyday at work - the kicking and screaming.
Glad you "man-handled" him in the right direction. This is a prime example of why we shouldn't have stopped spanking in the schools.